Writing a Letter to the Editor:
Formatting and Tips
To the Editor,
- Make your letter short and clear. Most papers have 200-250 word limits. Check your papers guidelines before sending in a letter.
- Stick to one issue and stick to the facts.
- Write on timely issues.The best way to get published is by responding to a letter or article that was recently published in the paper.
- Think locally. Demonstrate how this issue affects you personally, use statistics if you have them, and give the source of your information.
- Make your comments constructive. Never make accusation. This can get you or your organization into trouble and turn readers off.
- Customize each letter if sending to more than one paper. Don't send the same letter to more than one publication.
- Proofread. Most newspapers will read for spelling errors, but it is better to check it yourself.
- Include your contact information. They will not print your info, but they need it to verify that you wrote the letter. Include your name, address, and phone number.
(Phone and email)